A specialty of Mangalorean cuisine, it finds its place on special occasions.
Chicken Curry with Crispy Rice Roti
- 750g Chicken (Cleaned and cut into medium pieces)
- 1/2 Medium Coconut (Grated)
- 5-6 Medium Dry Red Chilli -Madras
- 9-10 Medium Dry Red Chilli -Bedgi
- 2 tablespoons Corriander Seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tablespoon Methi Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Pepper Corns
- 2 Medium Onions (Sliced)
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 5-6 cloves Garlic
- 1 piece Cinnamon
- 3-4 cloves Cloves
- 1 cup Thick Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup Ghee
- 1 knob Tamrind (Lemon size Knob)
- 2 tablespoons Green Masala (Refer Green Masala recipe)
- 2 Medium Tomatoes (Chopped)
This chicken curry can also be served with neer dosa, appam or rice.
||Roast Grated Coconut until light brown in color. |
Dry roast coriander seeds, cumin seeds, methi seeds, cloves, cinnamon, pepper, red chilies and keep aside
Take a little ghee and fry half of the sliced onions and garlic.
Grind all the roasted ingredients along with the fried onion and garlic, turmeric, tamarind to a smooth paste adding water if required.
Heat the remaining ghee in a pan and saute the remaining sliced onions until light brown. Add tomatoes and cook for about 2 minutes on a slow flame. Add chicken and mix well. Add the green masala, salt and a little water. Cover and cook on a slow flame.
When the chicken is half cooked, add the ground paste and half of the coconut milk and stir well. Cook till the chicken is done.
Add the remaining coconut milk and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
||Serve with crispy rice roti. |